Find us on FACEBOOK

Our Constitution

Heritage Trail

St. Mary's Parish, Cappoquin

Tidy Towns Committee

Submission to County Plan

Submission to CCDC's 2015 Plan



Twinning with Chanat La Mouteyre


Cappoquin News

Remembrance Ribbons, Thank You
Shaking off the New Year cobwebs, just a brief note this week to thank all who contributed to our remembrance tree ribbons appeal. The final total collected, to go towards insurance for events and the Christmas lights, was €1,034. This is a significant increase on last year and Civic Link greatly appreciates every cent of it. A huge thanks again to everyone who helped out with our Christmas events, and to the Prendergast family of Main Street for access to the power supply for the street lights.

We are back in action again now, with the Heritage Group meeting this week and Civic Link steering committee next week.


This Week’s Photo
This week’s photo was taken at the Fraher Field in Dungarvan and comes courtesy of Tom Hunt, the man who kept goal for John Mitchell’s when they beat Affane in the 1973 County Senior Football Final. The occasion of the photo was, believe it or not, an inter-county athletics match between Tipperary and Cork, which attracted a crowd of 8,000 people in 1900.

The main athlete featured here, wearing the sash and about to put the shot, is the mighty Tom Kiely from Ballyneill, just outside Carrick-on-Suir. Kiely was probably the greatest all-round athlete in the world at the time, proven by his winning of an Olympic Games gold medal in 1904, when he had almost retired from serious competition. In Ireland, he graced sports events the length and breadth of Munster and beyond, and the records show that in late June 1897, he made his way to Cappoquin.

In Cappoquin, Tom Kiely undoubtedly did a little business trading cattle at the town market, on the last Thursday of the month. Then, at the sports meeting in the Town Park, now the GAA field, he took part in a number of athletic contests, winning the long jump, throwing a 56lb weight over ten metres and, according to the Clonmel Nationalist, ‘broke the Irish hammer throwing record by the fine throw of 142 feet 5 inches, beating his previous record by 2ft 2in.’
As regards the meeting at the Fraher Field in the picture here, Tipperary won easily that day; in fact, Kiely won five events on his own and accumulated almost as many points as the entire Cork team combined.

Tom Kiely






Web page host: